Monday, November 9, 2009

Akron/Family: Meek Warrior

I know next to nothing about this band, but I cannot tell you how happy I am that they exist! I don’t know if I read a review of their first cd, Meek Warrior, while in Toronto, or if I just happened to listen to some cuts at one of the listening stations at (once again) my favorite indie cd store in North America, Soundscapes in Toronto on College, but I LOVED the disciplined anarchy that opens up the cd.

“Blessing Force” has only this line: “You want the blessing force, the blessing force,” which is chanted a few times during the 9:30 running time! Think Sun Ra and the Solar-Myth Arkestra as a free-form rock band (featuring an alto sax solo that would do Marshall Allan proud)! This is followed by a sweet folk (camp fire-side) rendition of the “Maha-Prajnaparamita Mantra” which ends the Mahayana Buddhist wisdom text, “The Heart of the Prajnaparamita Sutra:” “Gone, gone, gone beyond; Gone completely beyond.”

Following this, are several more mellow offerings with titles such as “The Meek Warrior,” “No Space In This Realm” and “Lightening Bolt of Compassion” which seems to have a Tibetan lyric. So, this along with the other song titles leads me to think they are either practicing Tibetan Buddhists OR at the very least heavily influenced by Tibetan Buddhism.

After another rocking free-for-all called “The Rider (Dolphin Song)” the cd ends with a slightly askew folk-gospel tune called “Love and Space” which again sounds very Vajrayana:

Lord, open my heart,
Lord, bring me near.
Lord, open my heart,
And make it into a mirror
To reflect the myriad
Colored lights of
Love and Space.

No comments:

Post a Comment